Sep 29, 2010

Easy Homemade Bread

Our dinner tonight was homemade bread plus seafood chowder and wonton appetizer.

Be honest, I am not a big fan of bread. They are hardly to be my love unless they are finely fresh baked. The best bread I've ever had was from a German bakery in ZhuHai, China. The bread smells delicious and the crust outside is hard and crisp but inside is soft and chewy.
Last week I found this recipe called No-knead Bread from New York Times 4 years ago.
(What were I doing 4 years ago... umm... working like a dog in ShenZhen China and had a kitchen that I barely walked in, not even mention about baking since there's no oven in a Chinese kitchen...)

Anyways, even I am not a big fan of bread, the picture just looks too good to not try and the steps seem fairly simple and easy. Plus I happened to have a cast-iron pot so... Why not give it a try?!

Therefore, I went into the kitchen to make a dough in 5 mins then set it on the counter till the next afternoon (19hrs). Then I followed the steps to let it set on the counter for another 15mins, and then 2 hrs. Preheat the oven & dutch pot to 500 degree(later I found out it says 450F in the recipe and 500F in the video, so maybe that's why my bread got burned a bit) 30mins before the ferment is done, then throw the dough in the pot, cover with lid to bake for 30mins then remove the lid for another 15-30mins.
And here we go... You take it out from the pot and rest it on rack to cool down. Easy, simple and it tastes really good, almost as good as the German bakery bread but not yet.
The bottom is a bit burned and I think the crust is a bit hard. The inside is chewy but not to dry or moist, it's just perfect! Perhaps next time, I will preheat the oven for 30mins but the pot only for 15mins. Besides that, I baked it with lid on a bit longer than 30mins, shouldn't have done that.
I certainly enjoy the fun of tasting and the satisfaction! It's definitely worthy to try!

No comments: