Dec 20, 2012

Worth a picture

A Japanese student recently added me as a friend on facebook. I got to see her photos that she took with other students in the school and pictures she took during her 30 weeks of stay in Ottawa.

Through her pictures, I saw what the students are really like outside of school and what Ottawa is like in their eyes. Some of the photos remind me of  my sister, Vivian's pictures in New Zealand when she went there for a year with her working holiday visa. Everything was interesting and so special! The students stay with each other and know friends quickly and have lots activities from time to time. They go out to drink to interesting places, do things and have a group picture taken in front of Parliament Hill... Through their eyes, everything is fresh and interesting!

Even though I lived in four different countries, I found I always take what's around me for granted easily. I guess it's just one of the nature of humanity. I never knew that going to Parliament Hill is such a great thing and I never knew that you can have so much fun in the War Museum. (seriously, it's about WAR....)

I do miss the students. They came and they left. It kinda reminds me of the time when we lived in Taiwan and China. All of our friends are with high mobility. Everybody moves around, including us. When you are just there for temporary, there's a bigger chance that you would treasure the time there more.

That shouldn't be the case! It shouldn't. We should treasure everything around us even it's not just for temporary. To live like that, you will find the world is much appreciable or tolerable. What may even be better, you will find everything around you is more memorable, worth a picture even...in Asian's logic anyways ;)

So live at the moment and treasure things and people around you. Look around carefully with gratitude,  because somewhere between your house and work, there is an interesting place worth you to stop and take a picture... with your eyes. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said Lulu! Merry Christmas to you and Kirk!