Jul 27, 2010

Lemon Pudding Cake

Worth to try even you don't have the right tools yet~

This desert can be served either warm or cold, so it's good for all season.
In summer time, if you need more choices of desert other than ice cream. This light flavour desert can definitely be a good choice to serve. Plus it's easy to make and hard to screw up.
These are all the reasons that I chose to give it a try today!

I chose a recipe on SlashFood.com for the first trial. Usually I choose the recipe site has better picture, that's very important ;)

Ingredients you'll need:
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, separate the yolk & white and place at room temperature for 30mins
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoon lemon zest (to use one medium size of Meyer/yellow lemon is about the right amount)
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Steps:
1. In large bowl, mix flour/sugar/salt
2.Add yolks/lemon juice/zest/milk/vanilla, then mix well
3. Whisk egg white in high speed in a medium bowl till it's stiff but not dry (definitely need an electric beater for this... my arm was sore but it's not quite stiff yet)
4. Then fold the egg white into the batter of 2.
5. Pour the mixture into small casserole cup container (it says 6oz *5cups in the linked recipe)
6. Place the cups into big baking pan with water. If you place more water(2-3" if allowed), you should have more moist pudding part in each cup after. Less water(1") will result more cake texture in result, I assume. I put 2" water here and used muffin tray instead of casserole cups since I don't have any.
7. Bake it for 25-30 mins until the edge turns brown on the top

Ideas:
You may sprinkle with icing sugar powder, cut a little piece of lemon, put cherries or berries besides it.
We had it with green tea with a lemon slice. It was a delightful summer night desert.
I think it's the result that the muffin tray is too big so the batter is not deep enough to have layers of textures. The specialty of this desert is the layers of taste & textures. And the moist pudding flavour is not outstanding enough, it probably has something to do with my laziness of the egg white. Next time I might try half amount of flour and baking a bit longer. Here is another recipe I'm going to try next time. Baking.food.com
Wish me luck~







No comments: